Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye to 2009

The title of my blog reflects my dismay at falling into the black hole of depression - again.  I have climbed out of that pit of despair more than once in my life, and each time, I thought I had conquered it.  A foolish thought, but that's the way I felt, like I had finally found the secret to keeping depression at bay.  I now accept that mental illness will be my life-long companion.  That doesn't mean that I can't get better, and that recovery is not possible.  It does mean that I have to be aware of the early warning signs, indicators that things are further breaking down, keep a support system in place, and use that support system.

So, now I say goodbye to one phase of my recovery.  I am getting past the acute phase, and I am entering the rehabilitation phase - putting my life back together.  Now I can work on more long-term goals.  I've got a tenative list for the next six months.  Let me know what you think.
  • Get a job
  • Get a room mate
  • Lose 50 pounds (that's 2 pounds a week)
  • Work out at least 3 days a week
  • Eat healthy
  • Socialize at least once a week
  • Attend church weekly
So, goodbye, 2009, despair and dysfunction.  Hello, 2010, hope and progress.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    LOVE
    QUEENIE AND THE PRINCE

    ReplyDelete