Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Counseling Today, At Last

It's raining today.  Thank goodness.  My yard had almost dried out.  No danger of that, now!  It's definitely soupy again.

Today I have my first counseling session.  I've seen my counselor once, for an intake session.  He asked me a pre-set series of questions from his computer, then turned to face his desk to enter my answers.  In spite of the rather awkward format of the session, I got a good impression from him then, and I've heard other people speak highly of him.  I'm hoping he can help me figure out what a normal life is for me.  Certainly, I am so much better.  I remember the first WRAP session I attended.  We did a review of the principles behind the recovery program.  The first principle is hope, a belief that things can get better.  At the time, I didn't have much hope of ever being a fully-functioning human being.  And to tell the truth, I didn't have much desire, either.  I remember sitting at the table, physically present, but emotionally bankrupt.  I had heard everything before - how to improve your self-esteem, how to turn negative thoughts into positive beliefs, inspiring quotes.  They all sounded hollow in my ears, platitudes for the hobbled.

Today I sit at my own table, looking at the hand-outs from that first day.  I'm still a little cynical about the material.  For example, "Happy thoughts fill you life with happiness."  I mean, come on now.  Yes, attitude is important, but so is having a good grasp on reality.  And being unhappy is not always bad.  It's a good sign that we need to make a change.  But I do have hope, and I do believe that things will get better.  And, as Martha says, "It's a good thing."

I know that I still have a long way to go.  But, oh my gosh, life is so much better than before.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"  Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."  ~~ Charlie Brown

4 comments:

  1. You are up early this morning. I finished SH's "The Dome" this morning. a 1000+ page hardcover book is not easy to handle. Will bring it to you. I am excited for you to actually see a counselor finally.

    I think this is a terrific blog. You have great writing skills and they are getting sharper all the time.

    Also your sticking to it. I think writing makes you feel better.

    One thing on the blog; I think users find it hard to post comments. Carla said she commented the other day and it did not show up. Its because of this identity thing required before it gets published and it is confusing. Can you write some instructions? I know I managed to get a name to use, but I do not remember what I did. Just one more thing for your to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback on the comments. I can change the blog so that anyone can contribute; their postings will show up in the blog itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the extra explanation....I am still "challenged" when it comes to this internet stuff. I really look forward to reading your blog everyday. You are quite a gifted writer. Hope u have a great day. :)

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I am so glad you posted!

    ReplyDelete